Charles' September 2011 Trip to Chicago

Chicago Botanical Gardens with Pattie

September 2011 Photos

On Saturday, September 11th, 2011, Pattie and I went to the Chicago Botanical Gardens. They turned out to be much better than I had expected. The place is huge and has a wonderful arrangement of fun walkways, bridges and many other interesting places to poke around in. We were there for 4-hours and could have easily spent another 4-hours there.

Pattie has been a member of the gardens for three years, however, this was her first chance to see them. Entering the gardens is free, but it costs $20 to park your car! Since Pattie had a membership, it was free parking for her.

The first picture below is actually Lake Geneva, not the Botatical Garden. We went there on Friday for some sightseeing and walking around. This was the only picture I took from that trip.

Click for larger view

My good friend Pattie showing me Lake Geneva.

Click for larger view

Charles at the entrance to the Chicago Botanic Garden.

Click for larger view

Colorful lillys in a pond.

Click for larger view

A walkway.

Click for larger view

An ornamental Bonsai tree.

Click for larger view

Pattie relaxing!

Click for larger view

The walkway in front of the bench in the previous picture.

Click for larger view

I LOVE waterfalls!

The following two movies are the same. Probably only one of them will work in your browser. Choose the one that works the best for you.

This is a movie taken by the waterfalls and shows the great views we had down the hill.

Click for larger view

A manmade river flowing through the gardens.

Click for larger view

Pattie about to cross the bridge to the Japanese gardens.

Click for larger view

The pond/lake around the island the Japanese garden was on.

Click for larger view

The bridge we crossed as we were leaving the Japanese garden. It is the same bridge we used to get to the garden.

Click for larger view

A cafe patio with a view.

Click for larger view

The Executive Chef Partner of the Big Bowl restaurants, Marc Bernard, was giving a demo on making a Honey Apple Crisp. It was good!

The Botanical Garden has famous chefs give these demos on the weekends. They are designed to show you how to make restaurant quality meals at home.

Over the years, they have become very popular with both the public and with chefs. Marc had to sign-up to do these demos in January! He said he was a bit late last year. When he got around to it, all the demo slots were filled!

Click for larger view

The end of a mavelous day at the gardens.